France releases suspected Russia ‘shadow fleet’ tanker after fine of ‘several million euros’

France released a tanker suspected of being part of Russia’s sanctions-busting “shadow fleet” called “Grinch” after its owner paid a fine of several million euros, a minister said in comments reported by AFP.

A French navy boat surrounds the Grinch oil tanker, intercepted by France in the Alboran Sea on suspicion of operating under a false flag and belonging to Russia’s shadow fleet that enables Russia to export oil despite sanctions.
A French navy boat surrounds the Grinch oil tanker, intercepted by France in the Alboran Sea on suspicion of operating under a false flag and belonging to Russia’s shadow fleet that enables Russia to export oil despite sanctions. Photograph: Manon Cruz/Reuters

French forces and their allies boarded the oil tanker last month between Spain and Morocco after it started its journey in Russia, before escorting it to a port outside the southern city of Marseille.

“The tanker ‘Grinch’ is leaving French waters after paying several million euros and enduring a costly three-week immobilisation in Fos-sur-Mer,” foreign minister Jean-Noël Barrot said on X.

“Evading European sanctions comes at a price. Russia will no longer be able to bankroll its war with impunity through a shadow fleet off our shores,” he added.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Spain to investigate social media firms over AI-generated child sexual abuse material

Sam Jones in Madrid and Rory Carroll in Dublin

In other news, the Spanish government will ask prosecutors to investigate the social media companies X, Meta and TikTok to determine whether they have committed criminal offences by allegedly allowing their AI to generate and disseminate child sexual abuse material.

Pedro Sánchez, the prime minister of Spain. Photograph: David Canales/Sopa Images/Shutterstock

Spain’s socialist prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, said his government had taken the decision in order to protect “the mental health, dignity and rights of our sons and daughters” and to end the “impunity” of huge social media platforms.

The government said it was taking action on the basis of an expert report that had analysed “the potential criminal liability of increasingly widespread practices in the digital environment, such as the generation and dissemination of sexual content and child sexual abuse through deepfakes and the manipulation of real images to create others with explicit sexual content, thereby undermining the dignity of the victims”.

The report warned of the potential involvement of social media firms in these acts because they allow “their massive dissemination with a speed and opacity that greatly hinders detection and prosecution, while also facilitating the formation of networks that produce, share, and monetise this content”.

The move, agreed by the cabinet on Tuesday, was announced as the Sánchez administration prepares a series of measures that will include a social media ban for under-16s and legislation to hold tech companies responsible for hateful and harmful content.

It also comes less than a month after the European Commission launched an investigation into Elon Musk’s X over the production of sexually explicit images and the spreading of possible child sexual abuse material by the platform’s AI chatbot, Grok.

On Tuesday, Ireland’s Data Protection Commission (DPC) – which monitors tech companies with European headquarters in Dublin – said the “large-scale” inquiry will focus on the generative artificial intelligence functionality associated with the Grok large language model.

Share

Updated at 

#France #releases #suspected #Russian #shadow #fleet #tanker #huge #fine #Ukraine #peace #talks #Europe #live #Europe